Certified Copies FAQs

Generally, the certified copy of a filing will include a certificate from the state of issuance that gives a statement reflecting the facts relating to the document attached and is signed by the authorized person from the state (usually the Secretary of State). Due to the electronic age, these documents are often printed in black and white and bear some electronic marking to indicate its validity. In some states, the certification comes in the form of a stamp placed directly on the document and signed in original. Any documents being certified are typically black and white copies of what is on record at the state of issuance.
The processing time depends on the state from which the certificate is being obtained. A certified copy can generally be obtained in 5-7 business days with routine processing service, but turnaround times may also vary if a state is experiencing a processing backlog. The turnaround time can be reduced if you choose our Express Processing service.
Yes. CorpCo can obtain certified copies of any public filing of record from any state in the US as well as from the District of Columbia.
Certified copies, like the good standing certificates, can serve as proof of existence of a company and may be requested for a variety of reasons.
  • Foreign Qualification - Many states will require a certified copy from the state of incorporation as a supporting document when filing the qualification.
  • Opening a bank account – Some banks prefer to have an official “certified” copy of the company’s formation documents before opening an account. Requirements will vary by bank. CorpCo recommends that you contact your bank of choice to determine their requirements before ordering any documents.
  • Replacement of original formation document – Lost your company’s Articles of Organization or Articles of Incorporation? You can obtain a certified copy of the filing to keep with your corporate records.
  • Proof of filing to be used in conjunction with another filing – In some states, the certified copy of subsequent filings such as name change amendments, or merger filings from the state of incorporation is required in order to confirm the change in the state of foreign registration.