Just as you were required to file a document with the state in order to organize and begin transacting business, if your company has ceased transacting business there is a formal filing required to report the company’s closure. If the filing is not submitted to the state, they will assume that you wish to remain active and will continue to send annual report notices. The state will also continue to assess any taxes, fees, penalties, and/or interest that are due.

CorpCo can aid in the dissolution preparation and filing process.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I file the dissolution now, but make it effective sometime in the future?

Many states will allow a future effective date up to 90 days from the date of filing submission.  To be certain about the allowance for your state, please contact us.

My company never had any activity. Am I still required to file?

Yes.  If you wish to formally dissolve the company (so that it is reflected in the records of that state that the business has ceased) it will be necessary to file a dissolution document.  In some states, there is a dissolution filing that is specifically created for those entities that never transacted any business.

What is needed in order to file a dissolution?

Typically, a certificate of dissolution, articles of dissolution, certificate of cancellation, or other termination filing document will be required.  The forms usually require information regarding the officers and directors of a company and the details regarding the decision to dissolve and must be signed by an officer or the chairman of the board of directors.

In some states, you may also be required to provide the following:

Final Annual Report Filing and Fees
Tax Clearance Certificate

If CorpCo assists you with the dissolution process, we will include services for every step of the process so you don’t have to worry.